Starting home care for your aging parent can be one of the best decisions you ever make for them as their family caregiver. Having an in-home senior care services provider as part of their care routine can help your parent to remain in their home, stay safe and healthy, and even remain more active and independent. Even if you recognize all of the benefits care can offer to your aging parent, however, they may not be as receptive to the idea. Your parent may resist the thought of having a care provider, or maybe even feel they don’t need this type of care. If, as a family caregiver, you have made the decision to start care for your parent, it is important to prepare yourself for the conversation you will have with them regarding this care. Addressing this conversation properly can make the transition into home care smoother and more beneficial for both of you.
Use these tips to help you have a conversation with your aging parent about home care:
- Give specific reasons why you think home care would be beneficial for your senior. Rather than just saying you’ve noticed problems, or that you think they need more care, point out individual examples of issues you’ve noticed, and that you think would be well-resolved with the assistance of an in-home senior care services provider.
- Rather than focusing on the fact that your parent needs “help”, focus on the benefits of care. Tell them that a care provider can drive them to places they need and want to go rather than them having to wait for you, and that they can help them participate in more activities they enjoy. Emphasize that the care provider can help them manage their daily needs, rather than just taking them over completely.
- Give them plenty of opportunity to talk as well. Listen to their thoughts and opinions, address their concerns, and reassure them that they can be an important part of the transition process, and their opinions will always be heard and matter.
Making major changes in your life is never easy. This absolutely applies to either becoming a family caregiver for your aging parents, or changing the care routine you have maintained with them. If the time has come for you to start considering major changes in your parent’s care, you can feel confident that home care is a beneficial and meaningful decision for both of you. Having an in-home senior care services provider in the home with your parent is a way to ensure their needs are met in the ways that are right for them, while also allowing you to remain actively involved in their daily care and routine. The personalized care they receive from their care provider can help your parent to manage their challenges, preserve their health, boost their mental and emotional well-being, stay more active and engaged, and continue to feel safe and independent in their own home. This allows both of you to feel more confident and at ease as your senior ages in place.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring home care in Greer, SC, contact Heart of the Carolinas Home Care at 864-991-3116. Providing Home Care Services in Greenville, Simpsonville, Greer, Anderson, Spartanburg, Mauldin, Seneca, Laurens, Charleston, Columbia and the surrounding areas.
Latest posts by Edward Harrison (see all)
- FAQs About Emphysema in the Elderly - February 15, 2019
- How Can You Tell You Need to Take Time Away from Caregiving? - February 7, 2019
- Why Did Your Senior Fall? - January 31, 2019